December 03, 2012

Health | Cancer Surprise.

Hello lovely readers, it’s been one heck of a day and although I'm apprehensive about doing this, I'd like to explain why.

Today, I bumped into what used to be a very dear friend of mine. It has been more than a couple years since we last contacted one another. But the thing is, I did not recognize my friend. I looked over to where my name had been quietly uttered and was taken aback by the sight of my friend.

There, before me, was my friend. The skin that coated them was deathly pale, the lacked any inking of hair on their head, and worst of all, they were shaking uncontrollably with crutches supporting them. They carefully sat down beside me and we began to talk. We spoke about various things, our work, our family, and then we tread carefully onto the subject of health.

They listened intently as I spoke of my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis diagnosis and my journey with it so far but I was rambling incoherently for I was distracted by their frailness. I finally got some courage and I asked them one simple question; what kind?

You see, my friend has bone cancer.

With the revelation, they went on about things as though they were perfectly tranquil. They were so calm, happy, and content; smiling and laughing. But for me, I slowly began to recline into sadness.

After I departed, I sat in my car and cried. Not single-droplet, not pretty crying, but full-on, gut-wrenching sobbing. Seeing my friend reminded me that my condition could be so much more severe and that I was so lucky to be stable. 

A few years can make the world of difference.


2 comments:

  1. What a beautifully written blog, I second the mascara analysis!
    How very wise and true :D

    ReplyDelete

Want to share your thoughts on the post? Post a comment!