March 11, 2013

The Cover Hides a Great Deal.

Hello lovely readers, for a while, I've been considering discussing an attribute to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. However, it's a difficult subject to tackle as it can be interpreted in all kinds of ways. Fortunately for you lovely lot, I've decided to bite the bullet and go for it.

I must confess a terrible sin: I am a walking pain.

Not a pain in the a**, no. Simply in pain. Around the clock, I'm in a tremendous amount of discomfort. There are many symptoms that contributed to the key elements of life with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. Exhaustion, lethargy, emotional drainage. I could go on for hours with the laundry list of negativity in my life but today's article is focusing on one imperfection; Fibromyalgia.

I’ve had enough time to come to terms that I’m going to feel like this all the time. It’s to the point that I do expect it and I know when I’m about to have a sudden thrashing from a tsunami of pain. I have so many undesirable aspects that I have to live with day to day but I try to put them aside and focus on the specs of lights in the darkness.

In this time, I’ve ceased informing my accompanying companion(s) of my discomposure and aching. It’s not only negative but it’s unbeneficial. There is little that can be done and I don’t want to offload on people with problems they cannot solve. I don’t want sympathy or consoling, I don’t believe in using my deficiencies in any nature at all. I do wish there could be simple acknowledgement however.

Much like M.E., Fibromyalgia lies beneath the skin and is therefore invisible to the naked eye of the audience. I don’t physically look in distress. This is a contributing factor as to why I no longer tell my acquaintance that I’m on the verge of amputating a limb because of the agony that is occurring.
M.E. Awareness Poster.
See the original here.
2013 © Tammy-Louise Wilkins

In the last couple of years I’ve had to justify myself to a lot of people upon notifying them that I need to “call it quits” for the day because I just can’t go on. It’s ultimately disheartening when the term “you look fine” is thrown in my face. It’s upsetting but it is the truth of the matter. When we can’t see something, we conclude it’s not there and that’s what I had to go through and I wasn’t going to go out of my way to prove that I needed to stop, I simply walked away.

I suffer a severe case of Fibromyalgia, especially in my hands and shoulders. I could be sat writing with no such signs of discomfort yet inside I’m wincing from the prickles of pain in my fingertips and the painful shots of knives flowing through my palm and the straining of my bones.  It is merely a case of knowing when I need to stop myself and to do it immediately.

I first received help for managing the pain when my therapist, A, referred me to the nearest Pain Clinic. There, I met AY, a wonderful pain consultant that has been helping cope and ease the effect that Fibromyalgia has on me.

Such pain relief tablets as paracetamol and ibuprofen are not as effective as they are to non-M.E. sufferers. In fact, if you regularly take them for six months, they will begin to have the reverse effect on you.

After regular evaluations, AY will suggest uniquely simplistic coping mechanisms to use or to continue to use. I often use a tens machine, a massaging mechanism that applies pressures and unknots the muscles and take a small daily dose of Nortriptyline, a more enhanced pain relief as well as regular appliance of relief cream.

Though I am in constant pain, I try my best to make light of the situation. It’s not going to disappear, only lessen as each year goes on, but I’m going to make the best out of this unfortunate state of affairs. I even use my extensive knowledge of solutions to help others in similar situations like myself.

The moral of this article is, lovely readers, that although you cannot see something, it does not mean it isn’t there.
_____________________________________________________________________________

1 comment:

Want to share your thoughts on the post? Post a comment!