January 13, 2014

Monday Musings: It Will Be Happier.

 Hello lovely readers, it is almost the end of Manic Monday and it's time for the first Monday Musings article of the year! What better way to begin this chapter of musings than to talk about the dreaded New Year's Resolutions.

The Definition of New Year's Resolution:
When a person makes a promise to do an act of self-improvement.
The definition has evolved with a few minor tweaks since then. Everyone makes self-improvement vows to themselves all the time nowadays. The average person does that about a hundred times a day. I do it almost every second. For example, I have developed a habit of physically winking when I type a 'wink face' via technology. Although I feel incredibly embarrassed to reveal this, I really am serious. I don't know why I do it, but I just do, which makes it onto the very, very, very long list of self-improvement. The real definition of a New Year's Resolution is truly just a moment in time to promise yourself that you will do something.

Setting yourself goals is an excellent way to stay motivated. Achieving those goals, however, is another thing entirely. I think we all tell ourselves we're going to do "this" this year and for most, the majority of the time, that pact doesn't get fulfilled. That's not to say that targets never get achieved, because they do, very often! But on the other hand, there are plenty of pledges that never resurface after the initial thought. So what we all really need to do is have achievable (and, of course, a little outgoing too) and memorable goals.

Although I may sound against the whole secular tradition, I always set targets monthly. Weekly even. It's actually apart of my coping mechanism with my Myalgic Encephalomyelitis that my therapist suggested. My reservations of the whole prospect all boils down to the times when I've given myself aims to tackle and overcome a Myalgic Encephalomyelitis hurdle that didn't pan out and therefore, I was left deflated.

But this year, I have wrote down a list of things I'm determined to do and I thought I would share a couple of them with you lovely lot!
  • Lower my anxiety.As ludicrous as it may seem, I suffer from terrible anxiety. Especially in unconventional social situations. Part of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis is great anxiety and after six months of staying in my house, I had one hell of a battle with it. Over the last few years, I have been trying to improve it and so, this resolution remains one of the most important.
  • Expand my cooking variety.It's no secret that I love my food. But my cooking diet is somewhat restricted so this year I'm going to expand and improve my cooking ability with different and fascinating recipes which I will hopefully document on here. (Any chance to dip into my inner photographer and indulge in one of my favourite pastimes.)
  • Go easy on the workload.I work a lot. Truly, I do. I do more than I can handle which results in me suffering a lot of particularly painful Myalgic Encephalomyelitis setbacks. One of my plans for 2014 is to cut back and take things easier as I do have a slight tendency to be a perfectionist.
  • Publish Temptation Bites.
    I have been working really hard on TB and many have asked me when I will be releasing it. The truth is, I don't know. I am deep in edits and rewrites so I haven't even begun to think about a release date. Deadlines never liked me. *chuckles* But I've made a promise to myself that it shall be out this year. Fingers crossed.
  • Travel more and travel farther.
    Myalgic Encephalomyelitis prevents me from travelling as the journey itself exhausts me. The furthest I've gone in almost three years is Bath. I used to adore travelling and it's one of the many downsides to having M.E.. However, I've improved a lot more so I do hope to travel more and travel farther this year.
  • Branch into fashion and beauty blogging.
    I'm a shopaholic and a woman rarely seen lacking red lipstick. This year I'm going to be blogging more diversely and will be reviewing or talking about things I like and love. (So far, I've been achieving this thanks to the arrival of the LC:M!)
Tonight's post was inspired by a favourite quote of mine by poet laureate, Alfred Tennyson. 

Hope
Smiles from the threshold of the year to come,
Whispering 'it will be happier'...

Which brings me to my final resolution: This year will be happier.
_____________________________________________________________________________

3 comments:

  1. i like your goals! i look forward to seeing more posts related to them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm hoping I will be able to achieve each one and share them here! xo

      Delete
    2. i'm sure you will! a dedicated and determined person like yourself will most likely excel at each and every one of them too!

      Delete

Want to share your thoughts on the post? Post a comment!