May 11, 2014

Let M.E. Awareness Week Begin.

Hello lovely readers, today is the beginning very important week. It is the start of M.E. (myalgic encephalomyelitis) Awareness Week.

Every year, in May, six days are dedicated to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and the ever-growing difficulty in making this illness recognized as a medical condition by everyone. 



It's no secret that Myalgic Encephalomyelitis is unknown and often wrongly speculated by many. Even I hadn't heard of it until I was diagnosed. In fact, during the diagnosis process, I learned about quite a laundry list of illnesses and conditions that I'd never heard of. I believe that's the underlying problem to why raising awareness is so difficult. Because it isn't as common as other long-term conditions. It's almost as though people refuse to acknowledge it, because it's scary and therefore choosing ignorance over truth is safer.

Though there stands to be a silver lining, a glimmer of hope if you will, in all of this. In 2012, just a month after creating my blog, I wrote an article during the awareness week after reading an uplifting story about a reporter that originally believed (having been delivered the information) that M.E. wasn't real and that these people were simply lazy beings and was later contacted by someone with M.E. that changed their opinion on the matter entirely. Read it here.

So, in honour of M.E.Awareness Week, I will posting an article every day for each day of the week about a certain aspect of M.E. and how I cope with it. I will also be re-posting previous posts I've written about my personal experiences. Whilst trying my best to help raise awareness, I will also be taking this opportunity to give you all a big insight into my life with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. From diagnosis to anxiety to emotions to "booming and busting", I will be jumping into the deep end with my discussions.

All I ask of you, lovely readers, is that you pass on the word. Spread the knowledge of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. No matter how small a sentence, whether it's via mouth or social media, please help make this illness known.

_____________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share your thoughts on the post? Post a comment!