July 18, 2014

Seizure at Ludlow Castle.

Hello lovely readers, how are all of your lovely selves? Hot? Sizzling? Keenly awaiting the weekend to arrive when you can strip off the office attire and sit in front of a fan with cocktails alone all day? I don’t blame you!

I usually can withstand the UK’s (measly compared to other countries’) heat but I have been baking all week. Of course, I’m not in the literal sense. Although, this definitely nears the equivalent! 

I’ve spent this entire week recovering from my weekend in London. With this heat and payback combined, I have not been a very happy camper to be within close proximity of. As I type this, I have one hand dabbing myself with a cold flannel. *chuckles*

Before I begin my London Experience series, I do have something I need to address with you lovely lot first.

I’m sure you remember I mentioned cryptically that I’d been in recovery last month. Well, now I am going to explain just what went on during that time.

Last month, my lovely cousin invited me and my mother to join her and her mother (also my cousin) at the Shakespeare Festival held at Ludlow Castle to watch an open-air production of As You Like It. Naturally, I was ecstatic and all too eager to go. It was Shakespeare, after all!

My only concern about going was my tiredness levels as for the four days prior to the event, I’d been on-the-go due to various occasions. In an attempt to delay the payback process, I relaxed the entire day before going to Ludlow Castle. 

Other than the usual exhaustion and weakness, I felt fine. Even after the two-hour journey there, I didn’t feel too much strain. I was having a wonderful time chatting with my cousins for the first time in a few months. The castle was simply stunning. The people were lovely. The cast for the play was fabulous!

As a lover of Shakespeare’s tragedies and in-depth plots of the fall of sanity, As You Like It was a rather interesting contrast. Having only read the play once many moons ago, I really quite enjoyed watching it for the first time. Although, being one for the original atmosphere, the modernization wasn’t too much to my taste but the connection with music was very enjoyable.

For the first half, everything went smoothly; especially with Orlando running past us to the stage exit shirtless. (The muscles…wow!) When we reached the interval however, I started to feel a little odd. I dismissed it as just a headache from such intense concentration for a long period of time and so continued to watch the second half.

Now this is where it all went a little fuzzy for me so I’ve had to rely on my mother's account to explain just what happened...

About ten minutes before the play concluded, around 10:20pm, I became extremely hot and struggled to take off my jacket, most likely in an attempt to cool my temperature. For the next five seconds, if my mother hadn’t been looking at me, she wouldn’t have seen me have a seizure.

For the next couple of hours, I didn’t remember anything. I don’t remember having a seizure, feeling a need to vomit, being carried out of the open-air theatre, being put into a car and being taken home. All I remember is stumbling up the stairs of my house and passing out on the bed.

For the next few days, I was very weak and lethargic. I couldn’t get down the stairs without clutching the banister with all the strength . I couldn’t even lift myself out of the bath, for Christ's sake! It resulted in a very bad bruise from falling out of the tub.

I was quite honestly helpless. Suffocated with worry that it was going to happen again.

This was a painful reminder that I am still very much restricted in my limitations and my Myalgic Encephalomyelitis will put its foot down when it’s had enough. It was a wake-up call and the primary reason behind the I’m Not Perfect campaign.
                                                                                       
I’m currently waiting to undergo neurological tests done to rule out any possibilities of further problems that potentially may have caused the seizure. With Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, seizures are a common symptom. All I can do is wonder if I’ve just been lucky not to have them yet until these tests are done. It’s agonizing not to have an answer.

I was on strict rule that I had to obey my M.E. until I have these tests. I’d got the all-clear from my GP to go to London because I had my mother with me. For the weeks coming up to it, I was on house arrest. Rest, rest and more rest with just a sprinkle of work. I couldn’t overexert myself. You all know I’m a workaholic so you can imagine how painful it was. It was like when I first became ill.

This is another factor why London has been one of the scariest things I’ve done in the last years. It was a massive risk. But I took it and I don't regret it for a single second.
_____________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share your thoughts on the post? Post a comment!