At Home with Little Winter.

Hello lovely readers, the previous evening I sent out a message to all of my social media followers that I had a special treat for you lovely lot today that involved the lovely Katy from the prestigious and cosy blog, Little Winter.

At the very start of becoming a blogger, I stumbled across Katy's fabulus blog and was, to be frank, hooked from the first article I read, 'I Love This Place, But it's Haunted Without You.' It is with great pleasure to welcome one of my favourite bloggers for a little interview.


Since early 2011, you have been enriching the blogosphere with quaint and quirky articles about your life with your partner, Little B, and your somewhat mischievous feline, Little R. How did you find yourself wanting to become apart of the blogging world?

Katy: I’m not entirely sure on where it all began, but when I used to work abroad I decided to keep an online diary for my friends and family to be able to catch up on my daily antics (quite literally antics too!), and because I enjoyed the writing side so much, I continued it when I came home. I’d spend my evenings talking about cheese, and dancing in the kitchen and stuff that would probably make you cringe right now – talking to no-one, but for myself. Then one day, I received a comment on a post (I think it was Sarah at Temp Sec!) and clicked onto her blog and I guess that’s where it all began. I stopped talking about cheese, and began photographing the many things in my wardrobe. It took time and dedication but now, I couldn’t imagine not being part of the blogging world. And the best bit about it all? The true friends I’ve made from it!

Deemed as the three modern day musketeers– a justifiable description at that– how did you first meet Little B and Little R?

Katy: Well, a funny unromantic story actually – I was working away in the French Alps, and one of the chefs (yes, that Little B) caught my eye right at the start of the season. I didn’t think anything of it, until two months later when he decided one night to, wait for it, pull my trousers down in a bar. I KNOW.. I can’t understand whatever happened..! But yes, I didn’t speak to him until a month later when we were out for ‘bin bag ball’ (this is really classy huh?), and hooked up. To be honest, I wasn’t that interested, and once the season had finished and we headed home, I said my goodbyes expecting never to see him, until a week later, I realised that maybe I missed this guy, so popped on a train and went to visit him. And I guess they say, the rest is history. As for Little R? He just came along at the right time!

With each article, the reader is treated to an exquisite array of images that accompany the text. The visual attribute absolutely adds to the coziness of Little Winter in its entirety. Would you consider yourself a photography addict?

Katy: If you’d asked me that last year, then I’d have said a huge fat yes. However, as I’ve grown up, I’ve learnt to distance myself from taking photographs for others to see, to just enjoying being in the moment of where I am. I love sharing what I do, and our home and things we’ve bought/worn, but sometimes it’s also nice to step away and keep things just for yourself. Your memory is always your best photograph. But, it’s fair to say that I have learnt a lot since spending more time with my camera.


As a feline owner myself, I simply adore you article with Little R wearing a bow tie! Have you found that he is quite the topic of conversation with your readers?

Katy: Absolutely! Everybody wants to talk about him – he’s a bit of a photogenic cat so of course my days are spent sharing photos of him (he’s too cute not too!). Although, I’ll warn you.. He may look all cute and cosy on the outside, but he’s a little terror on the inside. I wouldn’t have him any other way though!

Little Winter is a little-bit-of-everything kind of blog. What is it that motivates you to write for so many different genres?

Katy: We’ve changed it up quite a lot in the last few years. Fashion used to be our main writing style, but since owning a home, we’ve enjoyed talking about the struggles and excitement of it all (and of course sharing our interior style), we like eating – so recipes are always a fun addition too. I think having a mix is great in one sense, especially as our blog is a place where we write about all aspects of our life, because at the end of the day, we’re writing for ourselves. Which is the most important thing.

If you could choose just one genre to write it, what would it be?

Katy: Does lifestyle count as one? If not, then I’d want to say recipes? Admittedly we don’t do a lot, but
if we had the time more, then recipes would be something I’d enjoy – I love capturing food shots, and with Little B being a chef, we’ve pretty much got it covered!

Covering such a vast amount of topics provides a variety of material but have you ever had a moment of writer's block?

Katy: Who hasn’t? I think it’s completely normal… I’ve had writers block so many times, and I look at it as a positive thing. Why write content that you’re not happy about, when you can take some time away and come back bursting with ideas? As I said, we’re only writing for ourselves which is the main thing, so it doesn’t matter if we take time out. Plus you need time out to enjoy life, to then be able to write about life. That’s what I think anyway!

Throughout the last three years, what do you find most challenging about blogging?

Katy: Time and pressure! I’m sure a lot of bloggers feel the same way too, but not all bloggers are full time. For most, myself hugely included it’s a hobby, and it’s not my life. Whilst I enjoy it, I have to find that balance to step away and make time for myself, for my friends and family. It’s so easy to come home from work and sit at a computer until bedtime because you’ve a list as long as your arm. In the last ten months or so, I’ve learnt to step away and plan which makes things so much easier. I take on minimal posts, and prefer to write when I want, about what I want and only spend two nights a week on my computer. It’s definitely made for better writing.

You are most definitely one of my favourite bloggers, do you have any favourites? If so, why?

Katy: Thank you, that’s incredibly sweet of you! I have so many blogs that I read daily, and all completely different! I absolutely love Carrie Brighton, I think her photographs capture you right into that moment. I’m also a huge fan of Amy at The Little Magpie who has such fantastic style (she has me reaching for basic pieces – I can’t quite pull it off like her though!), and Rosie at A Rosie Outlook is the perfect blog for a mix of everything (plus her pup is adorable!). I could go on forever..!

What has been the most rewarding part of blogging for you?

Katy: Definitely making friends who I now call close friends. It’s amazing how sharing your life on the internet, can bring you these people. We have most things in common, we love spending time together, and we basically just ‘get’ each other. It truly is the most rewarding part of blogging. A million times over.



Thank you ever so much for stopping by, Katy!

FIND KATY



Image Map

Comments

  1. I'm so in love with Katy's blog!!! Thanks for posting this! Are there more blogger guests coming?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Want to share your thoughts on the post? Post a comment!

Popular Posts