Health | Motivation through Pain.

Hello lovely readers, it’s been a short while since I’ve properly spoken to you all and today I’d like to explain why.

Every day, life impacts us somehow; whether it is an insignificant prod or life-threatening blow. Each moment, our mentalities change a little more. When I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) in 2011, life gave me a metaphorical swift kick up the backside and is the catalyst to where I am today; a blogger, author, businesswoman, and a student working towards a PhD. With this, I assumed that I was not in need of another kick. Of course, I was wrong and I explained the commencing of my newest health problem; seizures – which I was then informed that the probability of my death coming sooner as a result of my M.E. and seizures combined was nearing certain.

I received yet another kick from life to speed up the pace of making achievements and fighting against the odds. But a mere few days before my conclusion in exam season, I experienced what is most likely one of the scariest encounters with my health that I’ve ever had.



A week earlier I began taking tablets prescribed for my seizures, very strong ones at that. That first week I almost shattered a bowl because I couldn't see and I'd suffered from severe headaches and nausea after taking the tablets. The following week on one evening with the family, I began to feel light-headed and the room was rotating slightly which often occurs so I retired for the evening. In a dark room with a fan (a usual solution to the symptoms), I waited for the funny turn to pass but, not only did it not, but the room began to spin rapidly, my vision began to wither, and an excruciating pain spread over my ribs.

It took many attempts and thanks to the knowledge of my surroundings, I managed to find my parents and voice my distress. When things worsened, the emergency services were called. That was when my crying ceased and I lost consciousness.

From then on my memory is little to non-existent. I was informed that I met several paramedics and a GP at home. (Due to confusion of communication, paramedics were deployed instead of an ambulance.) I then encountered a doctor and nurse when I eventually was taken to hospital at 2am, four-and-a-half hours after the episode began. I was also informed that I had several renditions of vomiting that could put William Friedkin's 1973 film, The Exorcist’s, glorious vomit scene; apparently one of the executions occurring when the GP pressed my stomach.

Luckily, an anti-sickness dose injected into the vein and a few strong tablets later, I was stabilised and discharged at 4:30am; several hours after the whole catastrophe began.

In the end it was concluded that I'd had a seizure which triggered a migraine that lead to all of the complications such as the loss of vision, nausea and rib pain.

A fully recuperated me.
I spent the following few days recuperating from not only the physical toll but the emotional toll also.
I’d taken what I’d been told in that neurologist’s office with a pinch of salt and tried to avoid thinking about it. But this incident really put that information front and center in my mind and it left me in a melancholy state. With this, I did retreat for a moment. Then that funny thing called ‘life’ gave me a kick up the backside and forced me to look at what I’d done with my life over the last four year; I had fought. I have always fought the complications health had given me and for the majority, I reigned victorious. With that, my confidence and determination were revitalised as, as I was fortunately almost recovered, I concluded my time in exam season with optimism.

To end this post I would like to not only address the people I met so briefly on that night but the entirety of the medical workers that dedicate themselves to helping us;


Thank you. We rant and rave at the deterioration of the NHS and the lack of efficiency in medical officials but we don’t quite grasp how much of a debt we owe to you until we are in the midst of struggle and strife. I want to thank the ones I met that night and the ones who also sacrifice a night of sleep to come to our rescue. I remember the smiles on the each and every face of the people I met that night amidst the haze. The warm voices, although coherent, calming me. Thank you to the paramedics who spoke so avidly about Harry Potter with me whilst I was almost comatose. These people watch pain every moment of the day and yet, they are still full of zest and compassion. So I and the ungracious society thank you all. Truly and whole-heartedly.


Image Map

Comments

  1. Humbling words, your strength, desire, courage are an inspiration and yes you have so much to be proud of with all you have achieved since you were diagnosed. Yes the NHS is the most undervalued n unappreciated constitution we have. The hours they work, their compassion, professionalism and dedication to all they do is something we should all embrace n be thankful of. Its what set our health service apart from every other country and something we should all be proud off. It's always difficult to talk about n to share with others what your going through but also very courageous n respect to you and your admiration for those who were there for you. Hope your feeling so much better and having a good weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephen. It took a lot of consideration about sharing this story as it truly does blacken my mind but the help I got deserved recognition.

      Delete
  2. There truly are, very certain and very beautiful souls living in our midst. You Tammy, are one of them. \(ˆ⌣ˆ)/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, kind sir! That is truly sweet of you to say!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Want to share your thoughts on the post? Post a comment!

Popular Posts