8 Student Tips | From One Student to Another.

Life is a series of lessons to be learned and become wiser from it. With every decision we make, our story is altered – in what quantity depends on the choice made. Some decisions were prosperous but others were not so flourishing. We always look back over our shoulder at the alteration a decision has made to our lives and wonder if we’d choose differently, would it have taken us in a different and more positive direction?

With the latest blunder by exam boards this year, many students have been left to have many moments like that.

In the last year of being a student once more, I have experienced these moments of reflection and after seeing so many students – from different qualification levels and my own – I thought that myself and a few of my fellow students could offer you, lovely readers that are students, a bit of advice on how to stop chewing bubble gum and kick ass (apologies but that They Live reference felt apt.)



DON’T LIVE ON A DIET OF CAFFEINE/SUGAR

In the last year, I have met so many coffee and energy drink addicts. Being a former coca cola addict (although, in times of a deadline stress, I did relapse (don’t tell anyone!)), I knew the disadvantages of this. Like most things, the novelty wears off.

I of all people understand the desperate desire to remain conscious but the mind needs to rest, recharge and rejuvenate so it can continue to produce perfect pieces. The mind can only take so much caffeine or sugar before it starts to crack in coherence and sound, applicable musings for work.

So, guys, take it easy on the energy dealers. Make sure you’re eating a substantial amount with your beverage. It is so important that you eat otherwise you could induce an episode of sorts. Make sure you’re giving yourself intervals between studying and please, get some sleep.

STOP PROCRASTINATING

Ah, Procrastination, the students’ arch enemy. Oh, how guilty I am of this.
Avid perfectionist that I am, I made an unfortunate habit of putting off the completion of work because I just couldn’t get it right. The disadvantage of having an overactive imagination is its jumbled assortment of thought process. Whilst I had a great idea, I could not quite grasp at what I was attempting to envision.

But, do you know what I learned? You’ve just got to pull your sh*t together and get that sh*t done. That means no more choose the socialite life before studying and enough with the Netflix binges.
When I’d finally come to this realization, I spent many a late night at a desk pouring out every ounce of creative and critical utterance to form various coherent pieces and do you know what? I passed onto my next year with flying colours.

In fact, why not motivate yourself by purchasing quirky illustration site, Ohh Deer's, Stop Procrastinating pencil set and pad?

TAKE YOUR LECTURER’S CRITICISM WITH A PINCH OF SALT

There are some teachers that are d*cks, it’s true, but these teachers aren’t being hard on you for no reason. They want to push you and push you until you feel you’re going to break – and when you do, it’s not a mental or emotional break (granted I had a few crying into a glass of wine moments) but an academic breakthrough.

You think your teacher is being far too hard on you? That they doubt your ability to be a part of your course? Well, guess what, they’re trying their damned hardest to help you pass because, at the end of the day, most lecturers are just as passionate about your subject as you are – often more so. They’re dedicating their life to teach you and being the helping that walks you to your desired next step.

My lecturer really got to me. Although we both had mutual and equal respect for each other, she would criticise my work in great detail, she would tell me that I was not at the level of the course and god, didn’t it hurt. But in retrospect, I’m glad she was so painfully blunt with me. She got under my skin just enough for me to buck up and show her just how capable I was.

The lesson here is that just because somebody is a d*ck to you, doesn’t mean you should give up. They’re pushing you further to your target.

IT’S NOT A BAD THING TO BE A SOCIAL RECLUSE



Private affairs with friends, family, and relationships have an inevitable effect on everything in your life; including your education.  It is a very harsh lesson to learn but your social life doesn’t matter. Are you going to see every single face you see in your school/college/university for the rest of your life? No, you’re not, so don’t let these people tamper with your grades.

Having been somewhat of an unwilling social recluse for the prior few years due to my ME/CFS, being back in an academic environment was so odd and intoxicating with all of these new faces. I made friends easily but sometimes, they weren’t always the best friends to have around. I found that I suffered terrible payback from my illness because of the stresses of downfalls of friendships and relationships and, ultimately, my academic level slipped a bit.

Being a bit of a quick learner, I took myself out of myself to see just how much the social part of my life was consuming and negatively affecting my life. When I realized this in its saddening reality, I stopped choosing friends over my studies and withdrew myself from the potentially impending drama. This benefited me massively.

It’s not a bad thing to be a social recluse. Hide in the library, bury yourself in books, write until your wrists crackle like a cement mixer. In the end, you have to put you first.

WHAT MY FRIENDS RECOMMEND

ENLIGHTEN YOUR LECTURER
If you have a work interfering problem make sure your teachers know about it! 
Sophia Jones

THE CANTEEN IS NOT YOUR FRIEND
Never buy canteen food unless you are a baller that pays for poor quality and quantity. 
Ben Green

BE YOU, DON’T CARE TOO MUCH AND THE SMOKERS ARE THE BEST PEOPLE
Don't give a f*ck about what people think about you. You'll only be friends with them when you’re at school/college/university bar a small few. 
Always be true to yourself. You'll get further loving yourself then hating yourself.

If you smoke; Be generous. Because when you run out you'll rely on generous people yourself. 
Miriam Napper

(It’s true. The people in the smoking area are the friendliest people.)

DON’T BE FOOLED BY SCHEDULED TRIPS
Sociology's Paris Trip is actually tourism and Disneyland. 
Will Janaway

IT’S BETTER TO LEAVE TOO MUCH TIME THAN LEAVING TOO LITTLE
Achieving high grades at one level is not an indication that the next level will be a 'walk in the park' for you. As the year progressed, I realized that some students who weren't particularly successful at the previous level seemed to thrive more than those who were (however illogical that may sound). Ultimately, it all comes down to the independence of the student and the willingness for that individual to learn and progress, furthering their knowledge in their chosen subjects. Another aspect that has become apparent to me is that you should never underestimate the workload of the next level you take in education nor the time it may take for completion at your best effort- remember, allowing too much time is always better than allowing too little. 
Millie Kirkham

I hope myself and my fellow students have helped you – even it's only a tiny bit.

Comments

  1. That was a great read and so true, loving this blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Want to share your thoughts on the post? Post a comment!

Popular Posts