Photography | Cogitation.

Look at the things around you, the immediate world around you. If you are alive, it will mean something to you, and if you care enough about photography, and if you know how to use it, you will want to photography that meaningness. ― Paul Strand

Like my poetry, I photograph instances that personally evoke an introspective mentality. Something that halts me in my steps and momentarily transports me into a retrospective outsider looking into my life, my actions and my condition in that very moment.

It can be something so simple, and yet so literally applicable to the art of ex post facto.

Like a reflection for example;




When we think of reflection, we envision staring at ourselves in a mirror. In that mirror we see what our mentality allows us to see ― and we all know that it isn't a good thing for the majority of the time. 

So what is it like to stare at a reflection that is blank? 

Void from your unique features and only reflecting your form in monochromatic tones? 

It makes quite the difference. It strips back all the layers of thought, of criticism, and of compliment and bares the soul in utter simplicity.

I stood staring at my reflection long enough for passersby to slightly falter and peer at me with a quizzical expression. I was just captivated by what my eyes beheld and it left me deep in thought. I think we all have our phases of vigorously analyzing and looking at our lives and where, why, and how we are here now where we are. 

I had this moment and I still don't quite know how I felt then nor how I feel about it now. 
Only that it was a precious moment.



It took me to the exploration of movement and its attributes to reflection. How something as simple as a click of a camera stops and preserves time. We, ourselves, do this all the time. 

Our mind is the camera and our memory is the preserver. 

The clincher about cameras though is that we can preserve the beautiful moments and delete the ungraceful outtakes. We can't do that with our mind and I believe that's why reflection is so much more agonizing for us. We cannot keep those rose-tinted glasses on; we have to see the thorns that have pricked or are pricking us.



Sadly, where these blemishes of memory lie is where our eyes gaze and remain. 

It isn't our fault, it's just an instinct that we all share. I am so guilty of this. If times are less than even, I forget the smooth roads and focus on the rocky paths. But I've found that, with a tedious amount of time, that my reflection slowly becomes clearer in detail as I embrace the big picture

For the last four years, I have embarked upon a journey of exploring my own condition through retrospective poetry and I'm still here doing it now. I found my outlet to embrace my reflection ― "warts and all" as they say. Albeit, I still have a way to go to really embrace the entirety of my own, personal portrait but it's a start.

So I shall conclude this post with asking you a question:

If you could, would you delete the outtakes and keep the final pieces 
or would you embrace your reflection?




Get your copy of my new book, Letters here:



Image Map

Comments

  1. Ooh love this post, and your photography is SO damn amazing! And I would defo embrace my reflection! :)

    Heather Xx
    100waysto30.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather! I'm glad you enjoyed the post as well as my work, it is very much a honour to know that it is liked! Yes, embracing your reflection is an excellent idea!

      Delete
  2. What a beautifully written post! :)

    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole, I definitely find myself a better stringer of words when it comes to explanations of my visual work!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Want to share your thoughts on the post? Post a comment!

Popular Posts